Musings

Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Mountain Hare

I did try to post using the Blogger app on my phone, but for some reason it kept refusing to actually publish the posts. Very frustrating.

So here are three species to cover the 1st February to today. I'll do a separate post of each one.

The first one was the mountain hare, or Lepus timidus. We saw a couple of these on our way up Ben Mor on the 1st February. Needless to say I didn't manage to get a good close up with my phone. The clue is in the species name. Even the two dogs didn't manage to get close to them.


This is a picture of near where we saw them. Amazing place to choose as one's ecological niche!

Other names include blue hare, alpine hare, Irish hare, snow hare.

You can tell them from the slightly larger brown hare because they always have a white tail.

No comments: